1.11.2010

Snowflake Architecture



“They say that every snowflake is different. If that were true, how could the world go on? How could we ever get up off our knees? How could we ever recover from the wonder of it?”
- J. Winterson

I was reading a section in the Book “Exuberance” by Kay Redfield Jamison about Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley, the first man to ever photograph a single snow crystal in 1885.

He became obsessed with documenting the frozen marvels, and claimed that in the 5,000 snowflakes he captured, he never found any two alike. What a nearly-unbelievable fact; one that is easy to repeat but knocks me off my feet when I really think about it.

Every.

Single.

Snowflake.

UNIQUE.

This year, inspired my Mr. Bentley, my husband and I designed and printed architectural blueprints of snowflakes for our friends and family as gifts. Printed on cobalt blueprint paper, each was a recreation of one of Bentley’s icy babies. A different snowflake for each person, with a specific “Snowflake No.” and the temperature and humidity at which it is formed.

We wrapped them in paper printed with a Seattle architects kitchen designs to keep the theme cohesive. Simply a reminder for the hallway wall that we are each rare creations, formed under specific circumstances, and destined for something intricate and all our own.

(Note: If you would like me to design one for you, please simply let me know by emailing me at thespaciouslife@gmail.com. $25 includes the glass framing, $15 for the print).



2 comments:

  1. I would like to brag about these snowflake prints. When my family and I opened them up on Christmas morning, I wept. They are gorgeous and you should buy one for yourself and one for every gift you need to give someone this year.....

    Love this blog!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, I echo that sentiment. Rach, thanks for posting. I'm not ashamed to admit that this is my 4th time on The Spacious Life today... all in anticipation of today's post. Are you on Twitter, btw?

    ReplyDelete